M.A. in International Studies
Tuition & Funding
The current costs of graduate tuition at the University of Washington can be found at the Graduate Tuition Dashboard. Simply select your year, quarter, residency status, credit load, degree and program to determine your tuition for any given quarter.
Learn more about living expenses and other costs associated with a UW graduate degree.
We work with all of our students to help them find sufficient resources to cover the costs of their education. Some of these opportunities include:
Merit Scholarships: Over twenty-five percent of entering M.A. students receive a fellowship from the Jackson School based on their prior academic performance and professional accomplishments. These awards either cover tuition or decrease tuition for out-of-state students to the in-state tuition rate, include a living stipend, and some include health insurance.
FLAS Fellowships: Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships are available to current and incoming UW students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. It is available to students who will study one of the listed foreign languages at the intermediate or advanced level while receiving the fellowship (Arabic, Bangla, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, Burmese, Chinese, French, Hindi, Indonesian, Inuktitut, Japanese, Kazakh, Khmer, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Uyghur, Vietnamese). These fellowships include $18,000 tuition, a $15,000 living stipend, and health insurance.
Internship Fellowships: The Jackson School Career Services Office administers four fellowship funds that support students in internationally focused unpaid internships.
Hourly Student Assistantships: Students work up to 19 hours per week engaging in research, grading, and clerical positions to support our classes and globally focused outreach centers.
Teaching and Research Assistantships: Students work up to 20 hours per week and are primarily awarded to Ph.D. students and some M.A. students each year. These positions cover tuition, a stipend, and insurance.
UW Graduate Funding: The UW Graduate School and GO-MAP provides various diversity fellowships to support underrepresented minority students pursue their education. Some fellowships require individual student application and others are selected via departmental nomination. If you believe you are eligible for one of these fellowships, please contact email@example.com.
External Funding: Many of our JSIS students apply for and receive Boren Fellowships, Fulbright Fellowships, Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Graduate Fellowships, and others.
JSIS Funding Opportunities
- Abe Osheroff and Gunnel Clark Endowed Fund Human RightsPh.D.M.A.B.A.
- Ayako Betty Murakami Scholarship Japan StudiesPh.D.M.A.B.A.
- Christen J. Grorud Memorial Fellowship Southeast AsiaPh.D.M.A.
- Corbett British Columbia-Washington International Exchange Scholarship(U.S. Citizens Only) Canada & U.S. Exchange Program M.A.B.A.
- Dr. Lisa Sable Brown Endowed Fund Human RightsPh.D.M.A.
- Eleftherios and Mary Rouvelas Prize Hellenic StudiesPh.D.M.A.B.A.
- Eugene and Marilyn Webb Scholarship Comparative ReligionPh.D.M.A.B.A.
- Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship(U.S. Citizens Only) Foreign LanguagesPh.D.M.A.B.A.
- Frank F. Conlon Fellowship South Asian StudiesPh.D.M.A.
- Gething Award for Graduate Student Conference Travel Southeast Asia Ph.D.M.A.
- Imre Boba Summer Research Fellowship Eastern Europe/Central AsiaPh.D.M.A.B.A.
- Indian American Community Services (IACS) Scholarship South Asian StudiesPh.D.M.A.B.A.
- Jackson School Internship Scholarships InternshipsPh.D.M.A.B.A.
- Joan J. Welk Fellowship Comparative ReligionM.A.
- Kasai-Buerge Scholarship Japan StudiesPh.D.M.A.B.A.
- Keyes Award for Graduate Student Research Travel Southeast AsiaPh.D.M.A.
- Kristen Kawakami Dean Fellowship Japan StudiesPh.D.M.A.
- Marcy Migdal Fund for Educational Equality International StudiesPh.D.M.A.B.A.
- Nicholas and Aggeliki Soulandros Scholarship Hellenic StudiesPh.D.M.A.B.A.
- Ottenberg-Winans Fellowship African StudiesPh.D.M.A.B.A.
- Peter Mack and Jamie Mayerfeld Endowed Fund Human RightsPh.D.M.A.
- Sochon Scholarship Korea StudiesPh.D.M.A.
- South Asian Studies Student Fund -Travel and Research Grants South Asian StudiesPh.D.M.A.
- Stroum Center Graduate Fellowships Jewish StudiesPh.D.M.A.
- Stroum Center Opportunity Grants Jewish StudiesPh.D.M.A.B.A.
- Theodore Kaltsounis Hellenic Studies Scholarship Hellenic StudiesPh.D.M.A.B.A.