The Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies
Funding support for undergraduate, graduate and professional students
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships
The Academic year 2022-23 and Summer 2022 FLAS competitions are now closed. The Academic Year 2023-24 and Summer 2023 competitions will open November 1, 2022.
The Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship
FLAS Fellowships support undergraduate, graduate and professional students in acquiring modern foreign languages and area or international studies competencies. Students from all UW departments and schools are encouraged to apply.
Contingent on funding from the U.S. Department of Education, the six National Resource Centers of the University of Washington will offer Academic Year and Summer FLAS Fellowships in the following languages:
- Indigenous languages spoken in Canada
- Graduate Students Only: French (intermediate or advanced only)
The FLAS Fellowship is available to current and incoming UW students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. It is available to students who will study one of the listed foreign languages at the intermediate or advanced level while receiving the fellowship.
FLAS Fellows receive:
- Academic Year Graduate: $18,000 tuition, $20,000 living stipend
- Academic Year Undergraduate: $10,000 tuition,$5,000 living stipend
- Summer Graduate/Undergraduate: $5,000 tuition,$2,500 living stipend