J. Shelby House
Shelby House is a second-year MA student in the South Asia Studies program at the Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies. Her research centers around climate change and the politics of caste and class in Karachi, Pakistan. A white woman of mixed Cherokee, Chickasaw, and Muscogee Creek descent, Shelby grew up in the coastal plains of Southeast Georgia.
South Asia Center FLAS Fellow: Summer 2020 (Urdu), Academic Year 2020-21 (Hindi)
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., Comparative Politics; Middle Eastern & South Asian Studies, 2017
- American Institute of Indian Studies – Lucknow, Urdu Fellowship, 2017, 2019, 2020
- Berkeley-AIPS Urdu Language Program in Pakistan, LUMS, 2017
- STARTALK Hindi-Urdu Language Program, University of Pennsylvania, 2015
- South Asia Summer Language Institute, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2016