Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship (FLAS)
Application Period Reopened for Summer Study of South Asian Languages
FLAS Fellowships support students from all UW departments and schools in acquiring modern foreign languages and area studies competencies.
Eligible undergraduate and graduate students who will study Bengali, Hindi, Persian, or Urdu (other South Asian languages subject to approval) in summer 2020 will receive $5000 tuition plus $2500 living stipend.
The FLAS Fellowship application system for this award is now open. The application deadline is 5:00 pm on March 6, 2020. Applicants should carefully read all FLAS guidelines before applying. Contact the South Asia Center (email@example.com) or FLAS Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
The AIIS application deadline has passed, but they will accept late applications by February 19: http://www.indiastudies.org/language-programs/
The SASLI application deadline is April 1, but they ask for applications as soon as possible to ensure enrollments: https://sasli.wisc.edu/
Application materials required for Summer FLAS:
- A written proposal, in essay format, of approximately two single-spaced pages detailing your academic plan and how the FLAS fits in with your education and/or career plans
- Official or unofficial transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- Relevant test scores (GRE, LSAT, GMAT or other, as relevant to your student status)
- Letters of recommendation – see FLAS FAQ for details
- Federal student aid report (SAR) or UW Office of Financial Aid award letter