West Coast Model EU
West Coast Model EU
March 1-2, 2024
University of Washington
The West Coast Model European Union is an annual simulation of a European Council summit, bringing together undergraduate students from across the United States and Canada. Students, in teams of two, play the roles of representatives of European Union Member State delegations. Participants negotiate two issues of concern for the country holding the Presidency.
Topics for the 2024 Model EU in brief:
- Heads of Government
- Proposal to clarify the long-term status of Türkiye’s European Union membership application
- Proposal to stand up a coherent European defense capability parallel to NATO
- Interior Ministers
- Proposal to require media and communications companies to open all encrypted customer communications to government agencies
- Proposal to expand Frontex as a unified Coast Guard agency in the Mediterranean
For a detailed description of these topics, please view the Communication from the Presidency below.
About the Model EU
- University Registration and Country Request Form 2024
- Make your university’s reservation at the Graduate Seattle Hotel (discounted UW rate) Coming soon!
- Hotel Roommate Matcher
2024 West Coast Model EU Details
- Communication from the Presidency 2024 New!
- University Country Assignments 2024 New!
- Model EU Schedule 2024 DRAFT
- Keynote Speaker Coming in 2024!
Rules and Guidelines
- Official Rules and Procedures 2024
- Guidelines for Draft Resolutions 2024
- Guidelines for Position Papers 2024
- Judging Criteria 2024
Student Paper Submissions
- Submit Draft Resolutions – Due February 19, 2024 Coming in 2024!
- Submit Position Papers – Due February 19, 2024 Coming in 2024!
At the University of Washington
- Model EU Dress Code (Business Formal via McMaster University)
- Travel to UW and Campus Parking
- Event Venue, UW Campus Maps, and Seattle Tips (Including Restaurants)
- University of Washington Student Conduct Code
Resources on the European Union
- European Parliament Youth Hub Learning Resources
- European Union Governance & Policy Challenges Online Training
- European Union Principles, Countries, History webpage
- Jean Monnet Chair for Civil Society, Inclusion and Diversity in the EU (CIDEU) resources for Model EU and European Studies
This event is supported by: The Erasmus+ funded Jean Monnet Center of Excellence at UW, the Foster School of Business’ Global Business Center, the Jackson School of International Studies, the Center for West European Studies, the UW EU Jean Monnet Center of Excellence, the Ellison Center for Russian, East European and Central Asian Studies, the UW Center for Global Studies, and attending universities.
For information on previous West Coast Model EU competitions, please click here.