The Center for West European Studies and EU Center are excited to announce our partnership with the Northwest Danish Association. The mission of NDA is to preserve and share Danish culture, traditions, and values. Their biggest event of the year, the Danish American Cultural Retreat, is now open for registration!
For over 30 years, the Danish American Cultural Retreat (DACR) (previously known as the Danish Cultural Conference) has been held at a beautiful facility in Corbett, Oregon for three days in June. The cultural conference and retreat provides an annual opportunity to learn about Denmark and its links to the U.S., today and in the past. A rich program is presented to illustrate the significance of Denmark on the global stage.
To be a part of this great program, register here!
The 2017 program features:
- Women of Vinland (Dr. Elisabeth Ward, previous Director of the Scandinavian Cultural Center)
- Updates on the Museum of Danish America with focus on the current exhibition on iconic Danish artist, Bjørn Wiinblad (Rasmus Thøgersen, Executive Director of the Museum of Danish America)
- Danish folk high school tradition, Grundtvig, and the development of democracy (Kristian Næsby, Visiting Danish lecturer, University of Washington Scandinavian Studies Department)
- Icelandic manuscripts (Dr. Elisabeth Ward, previous Director of the Scandinavian Cultural Center)
- Heroes of the Danish Reformation (this year is the 500th anniversary of the Reformation) (Pastor Birgitte Saltorp, Danish Church of Vancouver)
- Medieval life in Denmark (Pastor Birgitte Saltorp, Danish Church of Vancouver)
- Danish aviation pioneer, Jacob Ellehammer (Henry Geijsbeek, Boeing)
- Discussion of the book, The Red Umbrella, on life during WWII through the eyes of a Danish Jewish little girl (Dave Christensen, Christensen Design Management)
Evening Entertainment: Flemming O. Behrend, Local Danish Folk Singer
For more information, highlights and scheduled sessions for this year’s retreat can be found in the DACR 2017 Brochure.