Apply to the Ph.D. Program
The applications deadline for admission starting fall 2021 is January 15th, 2021.
The application portal will open in August 2020.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete and submit ALL of the following materials online:
- Statement of Purpose: detailing research questions and interests in at least one of the four foundational fields of the Ph.D. program and at least one of JSIS’s area-based programs; and also identifying where possible how relevant JSIS faculty members and institutional resources would fit into a course of study (3-4 pages);
- Personal History Statement (optional): detailing any educational, cultural, and economic opportunities and disadvantages that you have experienced, and ways those experiences have affected the development of your special interests, career plans, and future goals (2-3 pages);
- Writing Sample: published or unpublished writing sample (generally not to exceed 10,000 words) demonstrating ability to write critically and analytically;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- The JSIS Ph.D. supplemental application form (PDF available for download);
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation;
- TOEFL (for international students who have not completed a graduate degree from an English Language institution) sent directly by the Educational Testing Service. (See Graduate School English Language Proficiency Requirements); and
- All Undergraduate and Graduate Transcripts: unofficial PDFs of your transcripts as digital uploads only.
*The Ph.D. program requires all applicants to have completed a Master’s degree before they start the Ph.D. program.
**Foreign Language: In most fields of study prior language study is an asset, and stronger applicants will normally have knowledge of relevant language sufficient for research.
***The GRE is not required for the Ph.D. program.
Applicants are responsible for verifying that the details and materials of their application are correct before submitting to the University of Washington Graduate School. Applications cannot be changed after submission. Shortlisted applicants may be requested to participate in a remote interview.
Applicants will be asked to submit official copies of all transcripts to the University of Washington Graduate School prior to enrollment.
Official copies of transcripts should not be sent to the Jackson School unless requested.