Scholarships and Funding
The Jackson School offers a number of opportunities for students wishing to fund their education. These opportunities are available in the form of fellowships and scholarships.
The Summer 2022 and Academic Year 2022-23 FLAS competition is now closed.
The Summer 2023 and Academic Year 2023-24 competition will open in November 2022.
Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships support undergraduate, graduate and professional students in acquiring modern foreign languages and area or international studies competencies. Students from all departments and professional schools are encouraged to apply. FLAS Fellowships are available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Contingent on funding from the U.S. Department of Education, the East Asia Center annually offers Academic Year and Summer FLAS Fellowships for East Asia language (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) and area studies.
FLAS Fellows receive:
- Academic Year Graduate: $18,000 tuition, $20,000 living stipend
- Academic Year Undergraduate: $10,000 tuition,$5,000 living stipend
- Summer Graduate/Undergraduate: $5,000 tuition,$2500 living stipend
For more information about FLAS Fellowships, click here.
Program Fellowships and Scholarships
Below are a selection of scholarships and fellowships available from the Korea, Japan, and China Programs (click the program title for more information):
Korea Studies Program
- Sochon Foundation Endowed Scholarship in Korea Studies
- University of Washington Korea Studies Graduate Fellowship
Japan Studies Program
- Ayako Betty Murakami Scholarship for Japan Studies
- Kasai Buerge Scholarship in Japan Studies
- Kristen Kawakami Dean Fellowship in Japan Studies
China Studies Program
The China Studies program offers several fellowship opportunities. All fellowships are by faculty nomination and applications from individual students are not considered.