Transformation of Turkey's Civil-Military Affairs Since the 1980 Coup: A Civilianization and Diversity Dilemma Secondary Research: Cultivating Imperial Patriotism: Universal Conscription and Minorities in the Late Ottoman Empire (1908-1918)
The Turkish Armed Forces
Turkish, Ottoman Turkish, Greek, Persian, Karamanlidika, Mixed Methods
Özgür Özkan received his B.S. in Industrial Engineering from the Turkish Military Academy and M.A. in Security Studies from the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School in California. Özgür’s research interests include the military, state, and society in Turkey and the United States. He focuses on the impact of organizational, social, and cultural characteristics of the armed forces on civil-military relations and national security policymaking.
His primary foundational field is Peace, Violence, Security (PVS) with a secondary focus on the States, Markets, and Societies (SMS).
- “Organizational and Cultural Sources of the Turkish Military’s Interventionism,” Journal of the Middle East and North Africa, (Under Review).
- “Universal Conscription and Jewish Soldiers in the Ottoman Army in the First World War,” in eds. O. Mandujano and K. Tinaz in Trajectories of Sepharad, Koc University Press, Istanbul, (Forthcoming).
- “Don’t Turn the Turkish Military into A political Tool,” Foreign Policy Magazine, June 20, 2018.
- “How the Turkish City of Peace Remembers its Sephardic Veterans” UW Stroum Center Sephardic Studies E-Journal, May 5, 2018.
- “Reimagining Sephardic Çanakkale and Its Ties to Seattle,” UW Stroum Center Sephardic Studies E-Journal, May 1, 2017.
Grants & Fellowship
- Konrad Adenauer Stiftung Scholarship, Terrorism and European Security, Olympia Summer Academy-Greece, 2019.
- APSA (American Political Science Association) Small Research and Travel Grant, 2018
- ASMEA (Association of Scholars of the Middle East and Africa) Research Grant, 2018-2019.
- Maurice and Lois Schwartz Endowment Fellowship, NELC, UW, 2018-2019.
- UW Stroum Center Opportunity Grant, 2018, 2017.
- University of Washington, GSFEI Travel Grant, 2018.
- I. Mervin and Georgiana Gorasht Graduate Fellowship, UW Stroum Center, 2017-2018, 2016-2017.
- The Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies Travel Grant, 2016, 2017, 2018.
- Harvard-Koç University Ottoman Turkish Summer School/Tuition Waiver, 2016.
- AATT (American Association of Teachers of Turkic Languages) Travel Grant, 2016.
- University of Washington Graduate School Fellowship, 2014-2015.
- The Turkish Ministry of Defense Fellowship for Master’s Degree Abroad, 2011-2012.