At the University of Washington
The Department of Asian Languages and Literature offers instruction in Indonesian and Vietnamese while the Department of American Ethnic Studies offers instruction in Tagalog. Khmer, Burmese and Thai are offered by the Jackson School of International Studies (JSIS). Emphasis is placed on the roles of these languages within the cultures they serve as well as on linguistic, textual, and literary analysis. The Language Learning Center provides services and resources that advance language study and instruction for students, faculty, and departments at the University of Washington.
Thinking about studying Indonesian? Check out this video about the UW Indonesian language program.
Southeast Asian Studies Summer Institute (SEASSI) at the University of Wisconsin in Madison
The Southeast Asian Studies Summer Institute (SEASSI) is an eight-week intensive language training program for undergraduates, graduate students and professionals. It has been held since 1984 and is currently hosted by UW-Madison. Instruction is offered for academic credit in nine languages, including Burmese, Filipino, Hmong, Indonesian, Khmer, Lao, Thai, and Vietnamese at the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year levels.
Language Instruction in Southeast Asia
The following opportunities are not affiliated with the University of Washington, but students should talk to their advisers about the possibility of earning UW credit for participating. The list is not exhaustive. Students are encouraged to talk to their language instructor and seek out other opportunities to learn language abroad.
- The American Councils Indonesian Overseas Program – Semester or year-long program in Malang, East Java
- The Consortium for the Teaching of Indonesian (COTI) – Advanced Indonesian summer language study in Salatiga, Central Java
- The United States – Indonesia Society (USINDO) – An intensive ten-week summer language and general studies program for US students at Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta, Central Java
- The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) – A summer language institute for U.S. university students sponsored by the Department of State
- Khmer Language Program of the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa – Summer programs in Phnom Penh for all levels
- Center for Khmer Studies (CKS) – Khmer Language and Culture Study Program Summer in Cambodia
- Study Abroad In Laos (SAIL) – Intensive summer study at all levels