- 206 616-5224
- 305V RAI
Guntis Šmidchens has research interests in Baltic Studies; Baltic Languages and Cultures; Folklore; Russian Folklore; Estonian, Latvian and Lithuanian languages and literatures. He is an Adjunct Associate Professor of Slavic, Executive Board member at the Ellison Center for Russian, East European and Central Asian Studies, and past President of the Association for the Advancement of Baltic Studies (AABS).
- Baltic History
- Baltic Cultures
- The Baltic States and Scandinavia
- Baltic States since 1991
- Introduction to Folklore Studies
- Folk Narrative
- Estonian, Latvian, and Lithuanian Languages
Selected: Publications, Essays
- Guntis Šmidchens. “Remembering the Baltic Singing Revolution on the National Mall, 1998.” Washington DC: Smithsonian Folklife Festival: 2013.
- Guntis Šmidchens. “Latvia, Poetry of.” Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics, 4th ed. 2012. 793-795.
- Guntis Šmidchens. “Estonia, Poetry of.” Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics, 4th ed. 2012. 459-461.
- Guntis Šmidchens, “Herder and Lithuanian Folksongs,” Lituanus 56,1 (2010): http://www.lituanus.org/2010/10_1_05%20Smidchens.html
- Guntis Šmidchens. “Introduction: Fighting for Liberty in Lithuania.” Lionginas Baliukevičius: The Diary of a Partisan. Vilnius: Genocide and Resistance Research Centre of Lithuania, 2008. 11-24.
- Guntis Šmidchens. “National Heroic Narratives in the Baltics as a Source for Non-Violent Political Action.” Slavic Review: Interdisciplinary Quarterly of Russian, Eurasian, and East European Studies 66.3 (2007): 484-508.
- Guntis Šmidchens. “Notes on the Latvian National Epic Hero, Lacplesis.” Journal of Folklore Research 43.3 (2006): 271-280.
- Guntis Šmidchens. “Why Study Baltic Languages?” Newsnet: News of the American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies. 2003. 25-27.
- Guntis Šmidchens. Entries on “Tallinn,” “Riga” and “Vilnius.” Encyclopedia Britannica. Forthcoming. (Forthcoming)
Selected: Publications, DVD/Film
Selected: Publications, Translations
Selected: Publications, Books