Mikhail Bulgakov Museum
Литературно-мемориальный музей М. Булгакова
The Literature-Memorial Museum to Mikhail Afanasievich Bulgakov was opened in his home city Kiev in 1989. The memorial house is well known to Bulgakov’s readers from the novel The White Guard. The novel describes 51 day of the life of a family of intellectuals during the Civil War in Ukraine. Bulgakov places the characters of the novel, the Turbins, in the same house, where he personally lived during the same events.
The museum was founded in 1919 and has grown into several museums: Kumu Art Museum, Kadriorg Art Museum, Mikkel Museum, Niguliste Museum, and Adamson-Eric Museum. It covers the Middle Ages up until the present.
Today the museum houses the collection of about 3 thousand exhibits, 500 of them are Bulgakov’s original things. Since it was opened the museum’s collection has grown 10 times.