Online Resource Center
Summer travel and study
Summer with EARC
EARC hosts residential summer institutes in Seattle which are open to educators nation-wide. EARC does not currently offer summer study tours.
Summer study at other NCTA coordinating sites
- The Program for Teaching East Asia at the University of Colorado at Boulder usually offers two week-long summer institutes, which include meals, travel and housing
- The East Asian Studies Center at Indiana University offers an annual week-long summer workshop on Teaching East Asian Literature in the High School
Travel with NCTA coordinating sites
The NCTA national coordinating sites at Columbia University and the Five College Center for East Asian Studies have offered subsidized summer study tours in recent years and may do so again next summer. Sign up for their email updates to to be alerted about these opportunities: Columbia. We will also send announcements to the EARC email list when applications for NCTA summer study tours open. In order to be eligible for these study tours, teachers must have already completed roughly 30 hours of NCTA courses, either online or in person. All EARC seminars count toward this total.
Summer study with other organizations
Travel with other organizations
Other organizations that arrange free and/or subsidized teacher travel opportunities to China, Japan and Korea include:
- The China Institute (China)
- Japan Society (Japan)
- Japan-US Teacher Exchange Program for Education for Sustainable Development (Fulbright) (Japan)
- Keizai Koho (Japan)
- Korea Society Fellowships (Korea)
Please check each organization’s website for information about whether or not they will host a teacher study tour to East Asia this year.