Professional development seminars about China, Japan and Korea for K-12 teachers
The East Asia Resource Center offers multi-day professional development seminars for teachers in the Pacific Northwest, which includes Washington, Alaska, Idaho, Montana and Oregon. Recently, we have offered seminars in Seattle, Bellingham, Tacoma, Boise and Anchorage. If you would like EARC to provide seminars in your area, please contact the office to discuss the possibility.
EARC seminars are designed for K-12 teachers of history, social studies, geography, language arts (ELA), humanities, art, music, and world languages (Chinese, Japanese), as well as school librarians and curriculum specialists.
EARC seminars are funded by a Freeman Foundation grant in support of the National Consortium for Teaching about Asia (NCTA). Completion of 30 hours of EARC seminars qualifies teachers to apply for summer study tours offered by NCTA coordinating sites.
- Image, Text, and Language at the Intersection of Cultures – East Asia and Beyond (NCTA Online Seminar)
- NCTA Online Seminar: China and Japan Between 1912 and 1939
- NCTA Online Seminar: Looking Ahead – Chinese Youth
- East Asian Futurisms: Exploring Speculative Fiction’s Commentaries on Power, Identity, and Society (NCTA 2022 Seminar)
- Through a Lens: Exploring Contemporary China Through Film, Documentary and Social Media, PART TWO* (NCTA 2022 Seminar)
- China and Japan Between 1860 and 1912 (NCTA 2022 Seminar)
- Ancient Chinese History and Thought (2021)
- East Asia Beyond the Headlines: Contemporary Issues in China, Taiwan, Japan, and Korea (2021)
- Through a Lens: Exploring Contemporary China Through Film, Documentary and Social Media (2021)
- China 2020: Understanding a Rising Power (2020)
- Japan During the Meiji (1868-1912) and Showa (1913-1989) Eras (2020)
- Tradition, Exchange, and Innovation in Art: An Introduction to East Asian Visual Culture and Beyond (2019)
- Edo Japan: 1600 to 1868 (2019)
- The Silk Roads: Yesterday and Today (2019)
- Taiwan in the Balance (2018)
- Art and Politics (2018)
- Meet the Masters (2018)