- Date and Location
- Directions and Parking Information
- Disability Accommodations
- Keep in Touch
Date and Location
Jackson School Convocation will take place on:
Thursday, June 13, 2019, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
Graduates may bring up to four guests.
- To register for Convocation, please complete the JSIS Exit Survey. Students will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with these instructions on how to register yourself and your guests (maximum of four guests per graduate) in late April.
- If you register for Convocation, we will assume that you plan to attend. If you must cancel, please contact Academic Services (206-543-6001 or email@example.com) as soon as possible, but no later than 12:00 pm on the day of Convocation.
- Students who wish to have their name published in the Convocation Program must apply to graduate, or notify us that they intend to graduate in the Summer quarter, no later than May 21. Similarly, students who do not wish to have their names published in the program must notify us when registering or by email by May 21.
Jackson School Spring Convocation is our departmental graduation ceremony, honoring the achievement of our students. We will invite all students who have graduated, applied to graduate or will apply to graduate for the following quarters:
- Autumn 2018 (December)
- Winter 2019 (March)
- Spring 2019 (June)
- Summer 2019 (August)
- Please 1) let us know you intend to graduate this summer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; and 2) register for Convocation no later than May 21 if you would like to participate in the ceremony.
You will receive a formal invitation with a mandatory registration survey via email during the week of April 15.
The same Cap & Gown suggested for the UW Commencement is also the suggested attire for the Jackson School Convocation. It can be purchased or rented here: http://www.washington.edu/graduation/cap-gown/
Master’s students: If you choose to wear a cap and gown, a white Master’s Hood is also suggested. Learn more about graduation colors here: http://www.washington.edu/graduation/graduation-colors/
Ph.D. students: For Doctor of Philosophy, the purple doctoral robes, tam, gold tassel, and Ph.D. hood should be worn. Doctoral attire can be purchased or rented here: http://www.washington.edu/graduation/cap-gown/
Your friends and family are welcome to use video cameras at the Jackson School Ceremony and take photos as each graduate crosses the stage and shakes hands with the Director, but may not block aisles or view of the stage while doing so.
Want to share your Convocation photos on social media like Instagram, Facebook and Twitter? Just tag your photos with #JSISgrad
Three to four months after you graduate, your diploma will be sent to the permanent address on record in MyUW at the time of graduation. The name on the diploma will appear as it does on the MyUW Web site. To change your address or the spelling/appearance of your name on your diploma, refer to the information on the Office of the Registrar’s website.
Directions and Parking information
REMEMBER: The JSIS Convocation Ceremony (June 13) is SEPARATE from the University Commencement (June 15). For more information on parking, cap-and-gown, etc., for June 10, check the UW Commencement website.
Please allow an additional sufficient time for parking, walking, and (where necessary) using the shuttle bus to get to the event venue on June 13 — traffic can be very congested on evenings of graduation events. Graduating students must be seated by 6:45 p.m, but in order to legislate for registration, we recommend arriving by 6:15 p.m.
(1) Free parking at the Seattle Children’s Administrative Building at 6901 Sand Point Way NE with Shuttle transfer to and from the Center – enter the lot at NE 70th Street. The shuttles will depart from and arrive at the north end of the parking lot.
Shuttles from the Seattle Children’s Administrative Building to the Seattle Children’s Sand Point Learning Center will start at 5:30 pm. Return shuttles from the Seattle Children’s Sand Point Learning Center to the Seattle Children’s Administrative Building will start at 9 pm. There will be help with parking on the site. You will be at the Seattle Children’s Sand Point Learning Center within 20 minutes of arriving at the Seattle Children’s Administrative Building’s parking lot.
(2) Additional free parking available at the Seattle Children’s Sand Point Learning Center (with priority for guests with disabilities or mobility issues): enter from Sand Point Way southbound. This is a smaller lot, so it will fill up quickly.
The University of Washington is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodations for a graduating student or guest, let us know when you register online or inform the Office of Academic Services when you register and specify the type of disability accommodation needed.
For Questions or More Information, Please Contact:
Office of Academic Services
Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies
111 Thomson Hall
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Keep in Touch
Alumni updates and email: Visit the Jackson School Alumni webpage to stay keep up with the Jackson School, and visit the UW Alumni Association webpage to change your address/email and other updates.