Ian L. Smith
Ian graduated in June 2020. Check out his student spotlight here.
Ian received his bachelor’s degree from the Jackson School’s Japan Studies program in June 2017. After taking a year off of school to roam the streets of Japan, he decided to return to the Jackson School to further his studies. His research interests are twofold: the political economy of Japan in the postwar period, along with the economic and military history of World War I and the interwar period.
Grants, Fellowships, and Awards
- Kristen Kawakami Dean Fellow
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellow
- Japan Studies Program Scholar
- Japan Studies Book Award
- JSIS Graduate Book Award
- MA, University of Washington, , 2018-Present
- BA, University of Washington, Cum Laude, Dean's List, 2017
- AA, Community College of the Air Force, Valedictorian, Distinguished Graduate, 2011