Heritage Language Symposium
The Center for Global Studies has been proud to sponsor the UW STARTALK Heritage Language Symposium, an annual gathering of language teaching colleagues from the University of Washington and around the state for the purpose of discussing heritage language learning.
Scroll down to explore the themes, agendas, slideshow presentations, and other resources from past symposia.
Saturday, February 20, 2021
KEYNOTE: Olesya Kisselev, PhD
Assistant Professor at the University of Texas San Antonio
Dr. Kisselev’s research focuses on Second Language Acquisition, Heritage Language, Bilingualism, Corpus Linguistics, and Learner Corpus Linguistics. In 2019, she coauthored a new textbook with Irina Dubinina, Rodnaya rech’: An Introductory Course for Heritage Learners of Russian.
PANEL: Teaching heritage language learners across K12 and higher education during Covid-19: strategies for mixed classes
- Ana Fernández Dobao, Associate Professor, Spanish and Portuguese Studies, University of Washington (moderator)
- Nathan Marks, Doctoral Candidate, Slavic Languages and Literatures, University of Washington
- Sabrina Spannagel, Associate Teaching Professor, Spanish and Portuguese Studies, University of Washington
- Jingwen (Vivian) Li, Mandarin Dual Language Immersion teacher, Mercer International Middle School, Seattle
In addition to the live keynote and panel presentations on February 20th, the 2021 Symposium offered a curated list of links to prerecorded, highly engaging and relevant presentations on Heritage Language Learning and Teaching that was made available the week before the Symposium.
Click here to explore pre-recorded sessions that were available to watch before and during the half-day live Symposium on February 20, 2021, and watch video recordings of live Sessions on February 20 here.
Saturday, February 22, 2020
- Keynote speaker: Dr. Anke al-Bataineh, Chair, MA Program in Language Education, WGU: “Strategies to Support Immersion Project-Based Language Learning for Heritage Learners”
- Patty Finnegan and Angela Davila, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction: “State Initiatives Impacting Heritage Language Learners: Dual Language Grants and State Seal of Biliteracy”
- Linda Egnatz, Executive Director, Global Seal of Biliteracy, and Angela Hasheva, Founder and President of the Bulgarian School of Seattle: “Empowering Heritage Language Communities with the Global Seal of Biliteracy”
- Nimco Bulale, One America: “Speak Your Language Campaign!”
Saturday, March 16, 2019
- Keynote speaker: Dr. Eve Zyzik, Department of Languages and Applied Linguistics, University of California, Santa Cruz: “New perspectives on the ‘incomplete acquisition’ debate in heritage language bilingualism”
- Dr. Eduardo Viana da Silva, Dr. Svetlana Abramova, Dr. Michele Anciaux Aoki, Dr, Bridget Yaden, University of Washington Startalk team: “Getting to Advanced: Challenging High School Heritage Language Learners to Step Outside Their Comfort Zone”
- Dr. Ana Fernández Dobao, Spanish Language Program Director, University of Washington: “Opportunities for Learning in Mixed Heritage/Second Language Classrooms”
- Dr. Michele Anciaux Aoki, Paris Granville, and Linda Egnatz, Global Seal of Biliteracy: “What does the Seal of Biliteracy Mean to Heritage Language Learners?”
Saturday, February 10, 2018
- Dr. Maria Carreira, California State University Long Beach: “Project-based learning and the teaching of heritage learners”
- Dr. Eduardo Viana da Silva, University of Washington: “Working with Projects in the STARTALK Portuguese through STEM and Project-Based Learning”
- Dr. Svetlana Abramova, University of Washington: “How to Enrich a Language Program and Motivate Students with Elective Projects”
Saturday, February 23, 2016
- Paris Granville: “High School-based programs”
- Meitsu Chuang Mendel, Chunqing Ge, Rhonda Eastman: “Advanced Placement (AP)”
- Joshua Hansell: “International Baccalaureate (IB)”
- Hedwige Meyer, Laura Christman, Adi Carlyle: “College in the High School”
- Anatoliy Klots, Svetlana Abramova: “UW Russian STARTALK Summer Program”
- Eloise Boyle, Sabrina Tatta: “UW Summer Intensive Language Programs”
- Sarah Standish, Laura Stahl: “One World Now!
- Michele Anciauz Aoki, Jennifer Wittenberg, Marta Burnet: “Competency-Based Credits and Seal of Biliteracy”