To meet the needs of the rapidly developing Area Studies and the World/Global History field, to build the FIRST internationalized “Center for Indo-Pacific Studies” in China, Shanghai Normal University is excited to seek applications internationally for three or more tenure-track-like positions in Southeast Asian Studies and South Studies in the fields of history, international relations, anthropology, political science, sociology, linguistics, literature, religion, etc. Ranks are open (lecturer, associate professor, or professor), and the requirements are as follows:
- Ph.D. degree from world top universities.
- Native or nearly native fluency in English, and are proficient in one Southeast or South Asian language (Burmese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian/Malay, Filipino, etc.; Sanskrit, Pali, Hindu, Bengali, Urdu, etc.); ability in teaching one of these Asian languages is a plus.
- Strong ability in research, teaching, and publishing works in world top journals and academic presses.
- Knowledge in Chinese language is a plus but not required.
Successful candidates teach two classes per semester; are required to publish one article in world top academic journals per year; have other related responsibilities. Terms related to tenure-like positions, salary, and other conditions will be determined individually.
Applicants should send the following materials in English to SUN Laichen (Lsun@fullerton.edu):
(1) CV; (2) Digitized copy of dissertation (or book for senior scholars); (3) Photo copy of Ph. D. degree diploma; (4) Three recommendation letters from senior scholars in one’s field; (5) Two representative published articles; (6) Proof of linguistic ability.
Deadline for application: Preferably Dec. 31, 2023, or until all positions are filled.
Shanghai Normal University (SHNU) is located in Shanghai, China. For more information about SHNU, please visit http://english.shnu.edu.cn/main.htm