International Education Week ’21
Celebrating International Education Week 2021
November 15 – 19
International Education Week (IEW) celebrates the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. This joint initiative of the U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. Department of State is an opportunity to highlight the value of global and cultural competencies and promote programs that help U.S. students and teachers develop global skills for success in the 21st century.
The Department of Education’s International and Foreign Language Education (IFLE) office and International Affairs Office (IAO) are organizing several initiatives during IEW to celebrate the importance of international education. We encourage the participation of all individuals and institutions interested in international education. We hope you will join us!
Please explore the resources below. If you are a UW student, we also invite you to explore the The Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship, administered by the IFLE, and read about the Center for Global Studies’ 2021-2022 FLAS Fellows.
Go Global Ed Podcast
The IFLE office administers several grant and fellowship programs that strengthen foreign language instruction, area/international studies teaching and research, professional development for educators, and curriculum development at the K-12, graduate, and postsecondary levels. By hearing directly from grantees and fellows, the Go Global Podcast will highlight the experiences of IFLE grant and fellowship recipients, provide unique insights into the application process, and explore the long-term value and impact of IFLE programs.
The inaugural episodes of the podcast will feature interviews with program alumni as they reflect on their experiences participating in Fulbright-Hays Seminars Abroad, Group Projects Abroad, and Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad fellowships. We will explore the impact Fulbright-Hays programs have had on their careers, and why they would encourage others to apply
- Podcast Website – Learn more about the podcast and each episode!
- Trailer – Go Global ED Podcast – The 60th Anniversary of the Fulbright-Hays Program
- Podcast Introduction – Setting the Stage for IEW with Cheryl Gibbs, Senior Director, IFLE
- Dr. Ida Rousseau Mukenge – Five-time Fulbright recipient, including two Fulbright-Hays GPA awards
- Amy Barsanti – 2021 Fulbright-Hays Seminar Abroad in Iceland
- Dr. Corey Holmes – 2017 and 2018 Fulbright-Hays GPA programs in South Africa
- Dr. Diana Chioma Famakinwa – 2018-2019 Fulbright-Hays DDRA fellow in Nigeria and 2015 Title VI Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellow
- Bill Phelan, Cornell University and Tanyelle Richardson, IFLE – Title VI Deep Dive: Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language (UISFL) program
We invite you to view a special video message from U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona (above) on the occasion of International Education Week 2021.
On Social Media
- Use hashtag #IEW2021 and follow IFLE on Twitter at @GoGlobalED!
- Download IEW 2021 Social Content and Filters from the U.S. Department of State
Google Map of IFLE Grantees
- Explore our Google map of FY 2021 IFLE grantees to learn about the Title VI domestic projects being implemented on campuses across the United States and the Fulbright-Hays overseas projects being conducted around the world. These projects strengthen international education experiences and foreign language learning for students, participants, and dissertation researchers. This map provides a user-friendly way for viewers to get a sense of the extensive reach of the Title VI and Fulbright-Hays grantee institutions featured, as well as the diversity of our grantee institutions.
If you have questions, please contact Carolyn Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org.