The University of Washington Study Abroad office facilitates three types of study abroad opportunities: university exchange, departmental exchange, and “faculty led” programs. UW is also affiliated with several study abroad programs offered by other providers. Recurring opportunities in Southeast Asia are listed below, but students are encouraged to search the UW Study Abroad website for the latest information. The Southeast Asia Center also encourages students to consider other study abroad options, particular for language learning.
University exchange with NUS
UW Study Abroad facilitates an exchange with the National University of Singapore for undergraduates with Junior or Senior standing. Exchange participants pay an exchange fee equal to UW tuition and attend regular classes at NUS for a semester or an academic year. Learn more on the UW Study Abroad Website.
Departmental exchanges typically require students to be registered in the sponsoring department.
- Economics Departmental Exchange with Thammasat University (Bangkok, Thailand)
- Foster School Undergraduate Exchange with Chulalongkorn University (Bangkok, Thailand)
- Foster School MBA Exchange with Nanyang Technological University (Singapore)
- Foster School Undergraduate Exchange with National University of Singapore (Singapore)
- Jackson School of International Studies Exchange with National University of Singapore (Singapore)
- Law School Departmental Exchange with Chulalongkorn University (Bangkok, Thailand)
International Field Study Program on Tinjil Island, Indonesia
This unique field study program is run by Professor Randy Kyes in Tinjil Island, Indonesia. Students do coursework in animal behavior and earn UW credit through the Psychology Department. Learn more on the Interntional Field Study program website.
Faculty-led programs offer students the opportunity to study abroad with programs organized and taught by UW faculty. UW Program participants pay a program fee (in lieu of UW tuition) and take coursework and participate in field studies that focus on specific academic themes or proficiencies. Different faculty lead study abroad trips to Southeast Asia each year. Check the UW Study Abroad program listing for this year’s programs.
Affiliated Programs are approved study abroad options administered by other universities, study abroad program providers, or foreign language schools. Participants receive regular UW credit for coursework completed.
- CET Public Health & Service-Learning (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam)
- CIEE Community Public Health Program (Khon Kaen, Thailand)
- CIEE Development and Globalization (Khon Kaen, Thailand)
- The School for Field Studies (Siem Reap, Cambodia)
- SIT Study Abroad Indonesia: Arts, Religion, and Social Change (Bedulu, Indonesia)
- SIT Study Abroad Vietnam: Culture, Social Change, and Development (Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, and Hue, Viet Nam)
Language-focused study abroad opportunities
For information on language-focused study abroad opportunities in Southeast Asia, please visit our language instruction page.