The University of Washington Study Abroad office facilitates three types of study abroad opportunities: university exchange, departmental exchange, and “faculty led” programs. UW is also affiliated with several study abroad programs offered by other providers. Recurring opportunities in Southeast Asia are listed below, but students are encouraged to search the UW Study Abroad website for the latest information. The Southeast Asia Center also encourages students to consider other study abroad options, particular for language learning.
University exchange with NUS
UW Study Abroad facilitates an exchange with the National University of Singapore for undergraduates with Junior or Senior standing. Exchange participants pay an exchange fee equal to UW tuition and attend regular classes at NUS for a semester or an academic year. Learn more on the UW Study Abroad Website.
Departmental exchanges typically require students to be registered in the sponsoring department.
- Economics Departmental Exchange with Thammasat University (Bangkok, Thailand)
- Foster School Undergraduate Exchange with Chulalongkorn University (Bangkok, Thailand)
- Foster School MBA Exchange with Nanyang Technological University (Singapore)
- Foster School Undergraduate Exchange with National University of Singapore (Singapore)
- Law School Departmental Exchange with Chulalongkorn University (Bangkok, Thailand)
Faculty-led programs offer students the opportunity to study abroad with programs organized and taught by UW faculty. UW Program participants pay a program fee (in lieu of UW tuition) and take coursework and participate in field studies that focus on specific academic themes or proficiencies. Different faculty lead study abroad trips to Southeast Asia each year. Check the UW Study Abroad website for this year’s programs.
- Building for Peace in the Wake of War – Early Fall Star 2022
- Anthropology Vietnam: Palaeolithic Archaeology Field School in Vietnam – Summer 2022
Unaffiliated programs have no official connection to UW, but in many cases students can receive independent learning credit through the UW for attending these programs. Students should discuss such options with a faculty adviser and the UW Study Abroad Office.
- Center for Khmer Studies – CKS offers a summer Khmer language and culture program, and a summer junior residence program. Both programs take place at CKS headquarters in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
- The School for Field Studies (Siem Reap, Cambodia)
- SIT Study Abroad Indonesia: Arts, Religion, and Social Change (Kerambitan, Indonesia)
- SIT Study Abroad Vietnam: Culture, Social Change, and Development (Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, and Hue, Viet Nam)
Language-focused study abroad opportunities
For information on language-focused study abroad opportunities in Southeast Asia, please visit our language instruction page.