Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship (FLAS)
Application Period Reopened for Southeast Asia Undergraduate Awards
FLAS Fellowships support students from all UW departments and schools in acquiring modern foreign languages and area studies competencies. Eligible Undergrads who will study Intermediate or Advanced Burmese, Indonesian, Khmer, Tagalog, Thai, or Vietnamese throughout the 2020-21 academic year can receive:
- Academic Year Undergraduate: $10,000 tuition, $5,000 living stipend
The FLAS Fellowship application system for this award will reopen February 14th. The application deadline is 5:00 pm on March 6, 2020. Applicants should carefully read all FLAS guidelines before applying. Contact the Southeast Asia Center (email@example.com) or the FLAS Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Application Materials required for the Undergraduate Academic Year FLAS:
- Transcripts (official or unofficial) from all universities attended;
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which is from someone qualified to attest to foreign language ability (such as a language instructor);
- Federal student aid report (SAR) or UW Office of Financial Aid offer letter;
- Essay of approximately two single-spaced pages that details your academic plan and how FLAS fits in with that and your future career plans (please see guidelines and application prompts for more specificity).
Submit all application materials through the Fellowship Application System.