To attain the QUAL Concentration, students must complete the following:
- Take a minimum of 15 credits spread across methods, gateway, and theory courses, and receive a minimum of 3.5 in each course.
- At least 10 credits must be selected from courses classified as Methods.
- Remaining 5 credits can be selected from courses classified as Theory or Gateway.
- If you believe a course you have taken or plan to take should qualify for the QUAL concentration, you can petition the steering committee. Please see the QUAL Concentration Plan worksheet for further details.
- Complete 1 Qualitative Data Analysis Training workshop.
- Attend a minimum of 5 QUAL Speaker Series talks.
*Some exceptions for extraordinary circumstances can be made to the requirements on a case-by-case basis.
**Starting in January 2020, the QUAL Program has adjusted the concentration requirements. If you have signed up for the concentration before 2020, you can complete the requirements for the previous version of the concentration. The QUAL Program has also moved away from List I and List II, but you can still find those lists here. If you have completed the previous iteration of the concentration, you should complete the previous QUAL Concentration Checklist.