For Students and Faculty
Study in Japan
While enrolled at the University of Washington, you can study in Japan. The UW has:
- Relationships with approximately 20 institutions of higher learning in Japan
- 30 separate programs ranging from a few weeks during summer quarter, to a full academic year.
- Some programs are through specific UW departments, but open to all UW students.
Two of the key relationships which students take advantage of regularly for both summer and year-long programs are with Waseda University (for language and general studies) and the Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies in Yokohama ( for intensive language study).
The University of Washington’s Study Abroad Office is an excellent resource for anyone seeking to study in Japan. Students are encouraged to visit their “Getting Started” page for a general overview of options available. To find a program by region, term, or focus, please visit this page. The Study Abroad Office also offers scholarships for programs, with no separate application required.
Applications for Winter and Spring 2020:
November 1, 2019 for Partner Programs
November 15, 2019 for UW Programs
N/A : for Exchange Programs (contact Study Abroad office for next application period for Exchange Program deadlines).
Summer and UW-Approved Programs
- Summer deadlines vary by program but range from late January to early April.
- Fall and spring semester approved programs (CIEE and IES) are due by the program provider’s deadline.
The Japan Information and Culture Center (JICC)
The JICC, part of the Embassy of Japan, provides a Study in Japan: Guide for U.S. Students. The comprehensive guide provides information for students in the process of applying for study opportunities in Japan. It covers university exchange, Japanese language institutes, direct enrollment and graduate programs as well as scholarship opportunities.
To view the guide, please visit this link.