Jackson School On-boarding Manual
1.6 Roles and Responsibilities
The following list of department administrative roles and responsibilities is intended to help you quickly familiarize yourself with the Jackson School administrative staff.
- Office of Academic Services (OAS) – 1 st floor
- Business Office – 4 th floor
- Computing Services – 4 th floor
- Finance Office – 4 th floor
Office of Academic Services
Oversees the Office of Academic Services
- Director of International Studies (General) B.A. Program
- Coordination of academic programs and curriculum, including changes to degree programs and development of new courses
- Undergraduate advising, primary curriculum contact for: International Studies (General)
Assistant Director/ Lead Undergraduate Advisor
Assists with Office of Academic Services management
- Undergraduate advising, primary curriculum contact for the following B.A. programs: Asian Studies, Comparative Religion, Jewish Studies, Canadian Studies
- Undergraduate student records and graduation issues
- Study Abroad issues, including advising and credit evaluation
- Liaison to UW Registrar, especially for DARS issues (degree auditing)
- Undergraduate advising, primary curriculum contact for the following B.A. programs: European Studies, Latin American & Caribbean Studies (LACS)
- Primary adviser and curriculum contact for undergraduate minor programs
- Planning and coordinating JSIS Convocation (departmental graduation ceremony)
Graduate Advisor and Admissions Manager
Graduate program admissions, graduate advising and curriculum (2- year MA programs and PhD)
Academic planning and counseling for graduate students in all 2-year MA programs and PhD program
- Graduate programs promotion and recruitment
- Management of graduate admissions process
- Graduate academic records and graduation issues
- Liaison with APSIA (Association of Professional School in International Affairs)
Director of Fellowships
FLAS Fellowships administration and advising
JSIS fellowships and scholarships process
Administration and advising for the Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships
Primary contact for JSIS fellowships/scholarships system and process
Director of Career Services and Alumni Relations
Manages the JSIS Career Services Office
Oversees JSIS alumni relations
- Career advising and programming on internationally-focused career exploration
- Professional development and job search
- Graduate school preparation
- Alumni engagement and external relations
Coordination of International Studies (General) Program and Task Force
- Administrative support for the International Studies (General) B.A. Program and the Center for Global Studies (CGS)
- Coordination and planning of Task Force Program (undergraduate capstone projects)
Academic Services Office Manager
- Coordination of JSIS course offerings and time schedule
- Management of OAS front office
- Management of OAS work study students
Oversees and approves all JSIS business.
Manages day to day operations of Business office for over 100 department employees.
- Office administrative operations, processes and staff
- Department human resources for staff and faculty
- Space planning and office assignments, and other matters concerning department operations
- Thomson Hall building coordinator
- Assists JSIS Director with special projects
- Coordinates faculty, Chairs/Directors and allstaff meetings
- Welcomes new employee questions regarding UW HR policies and procedures or other HRrelated matters, problems with office space or ergonomic issues, or to report a problem with the building or custodial services
Reception and office administration
- Manages Director’s calendar
- Orders office supplies
- Work space and keys
- Copier/fax, telecommunications, department equipment (non-computer)
Director of Communications
Department level communications
- Public and media relations and general marketing and communications. Coordinates content for department external facing communications such as website, JSIS newsletter, and social media.
- Partners with programs and centers for promotion about newsworthy events, courses, students, alumni, and faculty.
- Employee questions or concerns about UW and Jackson School messaging, branding and communications resources; website content; social media; event promotion; and other marketing-related materials
- Payroll information and administration
- Hiring and separation processes and paperwork (for all employees and student employees)
- Timekeeping administration
Manages all department technology
- JSIS servers, workstations, laptops, printers, and conference room equipment.
- Assists staff and faculty navigate the UW’s IT infrastructure (email, web, etc). Supervise database and JSIS web development.
- Any and all computer or technology related issues or questions.
Manages department website
- Overall department website administration
- Website design and structure
- Advises staff on best practices, formatting and content management for individual pages
- Assists in web content administration as needed per program/center
Manages the gathering, storage and distribution of data for the Jackson School and the Title VI centers.
- Development of web-based forms for fellowship/scholarship applications (FLAS), faculty annual reports, and Business Office needs.
- Regular maintenance, revision and improvements of the above web-based forms.
- Gathering and extraction of data from the EDW for the Title VI centers for yearly IRIS reporting.
- Works with the Title VI centers, the FLAS coordinator and the members of the Business Office as needed to improve the above.
Business office financial operations and processes
- Oversees business office financial staff, and processes for account creations, permissions and approvals
- Responsible of overseeing department compliance with university policies, and state and federal rules and regulations, and is department contact for University all financial matters including the University’s Central Offices
- Processes payables for vendors, guests, faculty, students and staff including: honoraria, expenses (non-travel)
- Process CTA (travel and lodging)
- ProCard payments
Grants Process Oversight and advising
- All questions related to grants (with the exception of Title VI funding – please refer those questions to Dvorah Oppenheimer)
- Supports faculty through the end-to-end grant application and postaward process
- Provides day-to-day administrative and budgetary management
- Can direct you to information regarding business-related travel policies, government regulations for travel domestically and internationally, visiting and foreign guest visa requirements and reimbursements, etc. (Does not make travel arrangements.)