The University of Washington Center for Human Rights (UWCHR) invites applications from undergraduates interested in forming part of our access to information research team. We are recruiting interns to conduct research on immigrant rights in Washington state, using FOIA and Washington state public records law.
Selected students will be trained in the use of FOIA and Washington state records law for obtaining information from government agencies, and will be involved in the process of formulating new requests, tracking the progress of existing cases, responding to inquiries from government agencies as necessary, and cataloguing the information received. Student researchers will contribute throughout the year to the Center’s ongoing research, and are required to attend weekly meetings and participate in team decisionmaking.
This is a good opportunity for students interested in human rights and considering a future in law, policy, or research. It requires great patience and extraordinary attention to detail; willingness to comply with often-dull bureaucratic procedures; and an interest in questions of government transparency and freedom of information. It also requires a commitment to human rights in practice.
- Extremely detail oriented, organized, and reliable
- Ability to commit 10-15 hours per week for at least two (ideally three) quarters, beginning in summer or fall 2018
- Ability to work independently, in collaboration with a research team of faculty, graduate, and undergraduate students
- Willingness to commit to project confidentiality agreement
- Some previous familiarity with, and a serious commitment to, immigrant rights in the United States.
The strongest candidates will have made their commitment to social justice manifest beyond the classroom through involvement in real-world efforts at social change.
- The internship can be taken for credit
- For the right candidate, a stipend may be available ($3000/quarter)
- Provides hands-on research experience
- Possibly could lead to involvement in other areas of research, depending on student’s interest and skills
To apply, send a cover letter and cv/resume to Angelina Godoy at email@example.com
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.