Items on Order for the REECAS Center Outreach Collection
The REECAS Center has placed orders for the following items to be added to its outreach collection. All items should be available for checkout by summer 1999.
Lesson Plans and Teacher's Aids
- The Face of Russia --A three-part series offering an unprecedented exploration of the hearts and minds of the Russian people through their art and culture.
- Genghis Khan, Terror and Conquest --Explores the life of the great Mongol leader and his exploits.
- Cold War, the Making of History --The entire series as aired on CNN. This massive eight-tape set explores the people, events, and issues that made the cold war such an explosive episode in history.
- The Making of Russia: 1480-1860 --This history of the development of Russia show how a few million Muscovites came to occupy one sixth of the World's land surface. Contrasts the barbarism of Ivan the Terrible with the achievements of Peter the Great and Catherine the Great.
- Lonely Plant: Kirghizstan and Uzbekistan --A travel video exploring the sites and cultures of these two newly independent Central Asian nations.
- Bosnia: Peace without Honor --Traces the roots of the Bosnian conflict from 1992 to 1995. Special attention is drawn to the efforts of American and British diplomats to establish a lasting peace settlement.
- Yugoslavia: Death of a Nation --This award winning documentary traces the war in the Balkans from its beginning in 1987 to its escalation and uneasy peace settlement. Includes detailed description of ethnic cleansing and its impact on civilian life.
- The Baltic States --Part of the PBS series "One World", this documentary examines how the newly-independent states of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are facing the challenges of freedom and reform.
- "Choices in International Conflict" --Six lesson plans developed by Stanford University that teach secondary-level students about international security, diplomacy and conflict resolution. Students will examine issues surrounding conflicts between Russia and Japan, the two Koreas, and China and Taiwan.
- "The Revised Soviet Union" --Assists instructors in grades 4-8 in teaching the history and culture of the Soviet Union. Written by Susan Finney.